About Me

My photo
United States
19 going on 20. in love with Jesus♥♥ this journey just keeps getting better. join me? and maybe you could share yours with me. :) lovelovelove.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Battlefield.

dear reader,

So i recently heard Battlefield by Jordin Sparks. I mean really heard it. The lyrics just clicked after one of my favorite artists; Sarah Reeves said on Twitter "So I can't stop listening to Battlefield by Jordin Sparks. I wonder if she even realizes what's she singing...soo powerful!!" yupp. those were her words.
I had heard her song once before, but it didn't really click. You know? And when i saw Sarah post that on Twitter, i thought, "hmm, there must be something i missed. some other meaning." So i went and listened to it again. It amazed me how i missed some very important words in that song. Someone else on Twitter said, "That entire tour seems like army for God in disguise..." so i thought, yay for Jordin! and everyone else who goes out to her shows. May they also find the true meaning of these songs and relate it to their lives.
Here's my attempt at translating what her song says into my life, and my walk with Christ.
I don't really like including lyrics in these blogs, but for this song, i must.
Excuse me, for i understand this will only make the post longer. But you can skip the lyrics and scroll down to the part where i attempt to translate.


Battlefield; Jordin Sparks
Don't try to explain your mind
I know what's happening here
One minute it's love
And suddenly it's like a battle-field

One word turns into a
Why is it the smallest things that tear us down
My world's nothing when you don't
I'm not here without a shield
Can't go back now

Both hands tied behind my back with nothing
Oh no, these times when we climb so fast to fall again
Why we gotta fall for it now
I never meant to start a war
You know I never wanna hurt you
Don't even know what we're fighting for

Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield? (x2)
Why does love always feel like..

Can't swallow our pride,
Neither of us wanna raise that flag, mhmm
If we can't surrender then we both gonna lose what we had, oh no

Both hands tied behind my back with nothing
Oh no, these times when we climb so fast to fall again
I don't wanna fall for it now
I never meant to start a war
You know I never wanna hurt you
Don't even know what we're fighting for

Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield? (x2)

I guess you better go and get your armor, (get your armor) get your armor
I guess you better go and get your armor, (get your armor) get your armor
I guess you better go and get your...

We could pretend that we are friends tonight (oh-oh-oh)
And in the morning we'll wake up and we'll be alright
Cause baby we don't have to fight
And I don't want this love to feel like..

A battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield,
Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield

I guess you better go and get your armor...

I never meant to start a war
You know I never wanna hurt you
Don't even know what we're fighting for (fighting, fighting for)

Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield? (x2)

I guess you better go and get your armor, (get your armor) get your armor
I guess you better go and get your armor, (get your armor) get your armor

Why does love always feel like...
Why does love always feel like...
A battlefield, a battlefield..

I never meant
to start a war
Don't even know
What we're fighting for

I never meant
to start a war
Don't even know
What we're fighting for



My attempt at translation
I exlained this to my sister, who was also trying to understand the meaning. Two things surprised me; how the words just slipped out of my mouth, and how i finally heard a spoken translation of the lyrics. What you understand within can oftentimes be different than what you do when you hear things explained, but very much along the same lines. To me, this song means that our relationship with Christ was never meant to be a "war" or a "battlefield", it was meant to be precious and refreshing. Jordin says in the song "i never meant to start a war, don't even know what we're fighting for." In other words, the war begins when we constantly try to be good enough to deserve Christ's grace, forgiveness, and most importantly His unconditional love, when He so willingly GIVES these gifts to EVERYONE.
What would we be fighting God for? Control. Control of our lives, our future, our relationship, and everything in between.
"Why does love feel like a Battlefield" Because we make it that way. Christ doesn't and never intended to start a war. He just wants to love on us, but we constantly move away from the grip of his loving arms because WE think we're not GOOD ENOUGH. When in reality, Christ doesn't love us because we are GOOD ENOUGH, he loves us because we are His, created in His own image. He didn't die so we'd be good enough, he died so we'd be completely freed from the chains of sin and everything else that binds us up and prevents us from living freely for His Kingdom. We aren't good enough because He died, we are forgiven and loved, (Forgiven and Loved by; Jimmy Needham; http://www.myspace.com/jimmyneedham).
That's why we are in a meaningless war in which only WE have the power to end once and for all. Not our friends, not our family, and definately not the government.
"I guess you better go and get your armor". Like it says in Ephesians 6:10-18.

We are to pick up the armor we were so amazingly blessed with and live life God's way, not both our's and His way.

i like this quote.

"We must be careful to not fashion our God after our understanding. We can't make our version of God & worship Him afterwards." -Chad Jarnagin.


And that was my attempt at translation. I hope i made myself clear, if you saw something i missed, feel free to comment and or add your own translation of the song or contact me on Twitter; http://twitter.com/belovedreamer.

all my love;
gabyyy


1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is an amazing blog! I love it! I understand what you are saying! I am definitly going to take you're word's to heart. God bless you for you're encouraging word's. :-)

    In Christ

    -Another Sarah

    ReplyDelete